Wholesome chocolate mousse is definitely a keeper in my life these days. How is this for a fun fact from my past though…. I used to love Yogo and aero mousse as a kid/teen. I did in fact, just say that out loud 😐 For the uninitiated, Yogo is a chocolate yoghurt that I always thought was chocolate mousse. Aero mousse is just that, a super light and fluffy mousse that was also a chocolatey treat. If they even make them any more I dare not read those ingredients lists. Nothing good will come of it!
Next fun fact is that this dessert contains avocado, which is something I used to be very opposed to consuming because it was ‘so high in fat’. It’s OK, I face palmed myself, although you can join in if you’d like to 🙄 I literally starved myself of all fats on a low-fat diet for far too many years because I was trying to lose weight at the time, and that was what we were lead to believe would be a successful approach in those days.
Not surprisingly, I had very little overall success while eating that way. I certainly lost some weight, but I also gained a poor relationship with food (now also in my past) and an autoimmune disease. It was at that point I started to wonder whether one of the driving factors for autoimmune disease was nutrient deficiency. It’s still a topic that interests me all these years later, and I continue to research it. My personal opinion is that it is definitely a consideration.
I am so very glad I came to my senses and back to loving avocados. They really are one of natures true superfoods given they are:
- Rich in fibre and protein
- An excellent source of monounsaturated fat (as oleic acid that is heart and brain protective) along with the fat soluble vitamins A, E and K (good for vision support, immune support, bone maintenance, antioxidants)
- A good source of the water-soluble vitamin C and the Bs (particularly folate)
- An excellent source of potassium and magnesium (and also contains some iron)
- Anti-inflammatory thanks to its many and varied phytonutrients
I have avoided calling this avocado chocolate mousse because my husband doesn’t like avocados and he would ‘never’ eat them. Lucky for him I ‘never’ use them in any of the meals I make him *coughs* 😀
Wholesome chocolate mousse
- 1 large, ripe avocado
- 1 medium, ripe banana
- 30g cacao powder (I used Loving Earth)
- 1/3 cup coconut cream (the very thick cream from the top of the can)
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 3 Tbsp maple syrup (more or less to your tastes)
- 1 very tiny pinch of salt
- Place all ingredients in your blender and blend until smooth
- Spoon into two or three small bowls and refrigerate until ready to enjoy it. Simples!
Just a note: This recipe is very high in histamines given it contains a trifecta of avocado, banana and cacao. If you’re slowly coming back to introducing all foods after a histamine elimination diet, this is definitely one to avoid for now.