How adorable are these chocolate Easter nests? ….I’m not biased at all! I love creating cute and wholesome little things to decorate our Easter table with and I think these will be perfect.
This is not a new recipe, it’s a bit of a cheeky re-post of my chocolate crackles recipe. I thought adding two lots of directions into one would get too confusing so, I decided adding it again was best. I get to include some Easter appropriate photos as a result, which is always fun.
There is no shortage of chocolate flying around at Easter, is there? I spend half of Easter Sunday morning trying to get my husband to eat some actual food before he has yet another Easter egg! I’m sure he takes great delight in driving me insane on that front. That being said….. I am by no means anti-chocolate, I do think however, it’s one of those things we can make better choices with for health, ethical and environmental reasons.
The health benefits of cacao are many (hurrah!) but making sure you are enjoying it in a good quality chocolate is key. A bar of Dairy Milk is not going to offer you the same health promoting qualities that a lovely fair-trade organic dark chocolate will. They’re not even in the same ball-park. So choose your mini Easter eggs for these chocolate Easter nests wisely. If you do – your chocolate, along with the added cacao in the recipe, will be giving you a good dose of antioxidants, magnesium, polyphenols (good for the gut!) and flavonoids (good for heart and brain health).
I hope you enjoy these nourishing treats, and I hope they add to the decorations on your Easter table.
Chocolate Easter nests
- 2 cups Loving Earth Chocolate (Buckini) Clusters
- 1 cup desiccated coconut
- 1/4 cup raw cacao nibs
- 1/3 cup raw cacao powder
- 1/2 tsp vanilla powder
- 60 – 100ml maple syrup (Depends on how sweet you’d like them to be!)
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1/3 cup cacao butter
- 1/4 cup Honest to Goodness dried cranberries (optional – perfect if you like a little bit of a sweet/sour taste)
- Organic, fair-trade dark chocolate mini eggs to decorate
- Line a muffin tin with 12 baking cups (I like, If You Care – large size)
- In a large bowl, mix together the buckinis, desiccated coconut, cranberries, cacao nibs, cacao powder, vanilla and maple syrup
- Combine the coconut oil and cacao butter in a small saucepan and melt over a low heat. Do not let it boil, and switch it off as soon as everything is melted
- Pour the oil mixture into the crackle mixture and stir until everything is well combined
- Spoon the mixture evenly into the baking cups then start to form out a nest. Either do this by pushing down on the mixture with a small glass (a shot glass is ideal) or moving some of the mixture from the middle up the sides with the back of a teaspoon. Either method should leave you with a ‘nest’. Place in the fridge to firm up (at least one hour)
- Remove from the fridge, decorate with some organic, fair-trade dark chocolate mini eggs and place on your Easter table 🐰