Laboratory testing is one of the most effective ways for us to decipher what may be contributing to your health concerns. Working with diagnostic or functional testing results also means we can create an individualised approach to managing your specific condition.
I offer a range of testing options to help guide my treatment plans however, these tests can also enable us to measure ongoing success for you.
Laboratory testing I offer includes:
Gastrointestinal Testing: To asses digestion and gut function
- Gut Microbiome Analysis – assesses the balance of ‘good’ and ‘bad’ bacteria in the large intestine. Also identifies whether gut dysbiosis (microbial imbalance) may be present as well as intestinal inflammation
- Parasite tests (PCR) – to check for the presence of bacterial or parasitic infections, particularly post travel or food poisoning episodes
- Small Intestinal Bacterial Overgrowth (SIBO) breath test – to determine whether bacterial overgrowth is present in the small intestine (often likely with chronic gut symptoms such as bloating and IBS as examples
- Intestinal Permeability test – this is also known as leaky gut and this test assesses the integrity of the gut lining. This is extremely useful in autoimmune cases, food intolerance cases and general chronic gut cases as a compromised gut lining is thought to contribute to the onset and recurrence of symptoms
- Candida test – to determine the presence of yeast overgrowth.
- Coeliac screening – To determine whether coeliac genetic markers are present
- Food intolerance (IgG) testing – used to identify the presence of delayed food reactions that may be contributing to your symptoms, which might include migraine, bloating, lethargy or constipation/diarrhoea as examples
- Antigen and antibody tests – Based on symptom presentation and family history. Especially helpful in autoimmune cases.
- Hormone and adrenal function – Provides a comprehensive overview of hormonal status and helps to identify the underlying cause of a complex hormone related health concerns. With this test get an in-depth look at the balance of hormones, oestrogen pathways ‘good’ and ‘bad’, adrenal function and melatonin levels if you have sleep issues.
- Thyroid Hormone Profiles – assesses thyroid function. This is particularly useful for clients with a known family history of thyroid disease or those who struggle with an array of ‘vague’ symptoms such as weight gain, brain fog, fatigue, hair loss etc.
Metabolic and nutritional assessment
Along with our genetics and increasingly sedentary lifestyles… things like poor diet contributing to nutrient deficiencies can also contribute to reduced states of health. Nutrient deficiencies can also arise as a result of poor absorption of foods due to a less than optimally functioning gut. I offer a variety of tests to determine both nutritional status some of which include:
- Inflammation markers
- Liver Detoxification – to test for the rate of toxin elimination
- General nutritional deficiencies – things like Vitamin D, iron, zinc etc.
- Homocysteine (for those with a family history of heart disease) – To determine nutrient deficiency and possible risk of heart disease
- Fasting glucose and insulin levels – to measure pre-diabetes states
- Hair Mineral Analysis Test – to determine mineral levels and an possible heavy metal toxicity.
Genetic (DNA) Testing
DNA testing is a sophisticated investigative tool that identifies variations in chromosomes, genes and proteins that may highlight any possible genetic predispositions that may be present. Most notably it looks at things that affect mood, detoxification, methylation, hormones and fertility. Preventative natural medicine at it’s best!