I’m certain I could never have enough smoked paprika in my life, which is how smoked paprika hummus came to be. I was preparing a batch for us this week and suddenly couldn’t resist throwing some smoked paprika in. So in it went! I only need to open the jar to become completely intoxicated by its aroma 💞
Have you ever wondered what paprika actually is? Or is that just me with all the questions? My Mother once told me that one of my first words was ‘why?’…. doesn’t surprise me 😐 So paprika – for those like me who need to know – is dried and ground capsicum (bell pepper) with hotter varieties also including chilli peppers. I love that…. and it tempts me to try making it myself!
I had for a time, believed there were only a handful of different paprikas but travelling smashed that little bubble I was in. Paprika is used very differently the world over and there are definitely lots of varieties! I’ve tried several of them but smoked paprika will always have my heart. Aside from the smell I love the vibrant deep red colour! However, I also came to learn paprika is found in shades of orange and brown depending on the type chosen 😮
So paprika aside, are you like me and love to put hummus on absolutely everything? I’m not averse to just eating it by the spoonful from the fridge either I might add. I mean, why not?! It’s full of lovely, nourishing ingredients so dig in I say! Just four tablespoons of hummus per day will significantly increase your fibre intake along with your intake of other nutrients such as calcium, folate, magnesium and potassium. It’s also a good source of resistant starch (great for the gut bugs!) and adds some extra protein (1).
I actually should have included hummus in my ‘how to make every meal awesome‘ round-up because a dollop of this certainly does liven anything up… much as all the other things I mentioned in that post do too.
Hope you enjoy this! It is super quick and easy. 💓
Quick and easy smoked paprika hummus
- 1 can organic chickpeas (BPA free can)
- 50g tahini
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1-2 cloves garlic (to your taste)
- 1/2 tsp salt (or more to taste)
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tsp chopped continental parsley (optional, to decorate)
- Drain and rinse the chickpeas
- Place the chickpeas, tahini, lemon juice, garlic, salt and smoked paprika into the Thermomix and blend on speed 6 for 5 seconds. A good blender will also do this just fine
- Scrape down the sides, start mixing on speed 3 and slowly drizzle in the olive oil. Once it’s all in, blend on speed 4 for 1 minute or until smooth
- Taste and adjust with any extras you might like (i.e. more salt, a little more lemon, extra garlic etc.)
- Drizzle with a little extra olive oil, decorate with chopped parsley and serve with vegetable sticks, homemade crackers or as an accompaniment to any meal. It’s delicious!
1. Wallace T., Murray R., Zelman K., “The Nutritional Value and Health Benefits of Chickpeas and Hummus”. Nutrients [internet] 2016 [cited 2017 Sep 8];8(12):1-10. Available from: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5188421/