I really do love the fact that vegetables are hidden in so many recipes these days. Not only because it enables us to get vegetables into even the most staunch vegetable hater (gasp!), but also because – why not add one more vegetable serve to your day? These wholesome brownies with chocolate chunks will definitely do just that!
Finding that you could add vegetables to dessert recipes was a bit of an odd concept to me for quite some time. Certainly pre wholefoods days, but even after I’d changed the way I ate… I was still skeptical. I mean, what on earth would a vegetable be doing in a decadent sweet dish? Turns out, they do quite a bit….
Of course the obvious thing here is that vegetables are adding nutrients to the dessert. However, they can also add moisture and in the case of these wholesome brownies with chocolate chunks, they increase the fudginess. Now tell me that is not a good use of your vegetables, people!
‘So what is the secret vegetable hidden in these brownies?’, I hear you ask. Sweet potato! Mmmmmmmmm. There is no hint of sweet potato flavour – well certainly not to me – there is a whole stack of chocolate deliciousness to enjoy though. That lovely bright orange veg gives these brownies a nice little boost of vitamin A in particular but also a little vitamin C, manganese, B vitamins potassium and fibre too.
That’s all very nice I know, but how do they taste? Like chocolate goo with a little crunch on the outside. Yum! I love these as they are but they’re super delicious served with nice cream (recipe coming soon) or even some gorgeous vanilla coconut yoghurt. They just add to the decadence. Enjoy!
Wholesome brownies with chocolate chunks
- 1 cup mashed sweet potato
- 1 cup almond meal (or any nut meal you prefer)
- 3/4 cup smooth peanut butter* with no additives (I like Mayver’s)
- 3/4 cup maple syrup (or more if you prefer things a little sweeter)
- 1/2 cup cacao powder
- 1 organic, free-range egg
- 100g dark chocolate, chopped
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- Pinch of salt
- Pre-heat oven to 180 degrees Celsius (350F)
- Line a slice tin with baking paper (mine was 9 x 18cm or 3.5 x 7 inch)
- Place all ingredients in a food processor bar the chopped chocolate, and blend until combined. In a Thermomix, this was speed 4 for 15 seconds
- Add in the chopped chocolate and mix for a few seconds to incorporate through the mix. Thermomix reverse speed 3 for 5 seconds
- Spoon the mixture into the prepared tin and smooth out. It will be quite sticky so I smooth it out with the back of a dessert spoon
- Bake for 20 minutes then remove from the oven and allow to cool completely before cutting (this is the hardest part of the recipe!!)
- Serve with nice cream or coconut yoghurt and fresh berries
* Just a little note here – I have tried this recipe several times with both chunky and smooth peanut butter and I found that the chunky made this recipe very sticky in the mouth. It’s with that in mind that I suggest not substituting chunky for the smooth suggested in the recipe.
This sounds awesome Gabby! I LOVE the idea of using sweet potato!! I will definitely try these next time I have leftover mashed sweet potatoes!!
Thank you! It makes them so fudgey and delicious….
This sounds like the perfect recipe – I love all the ingredients and this is just a brownie made in heaven. Saved and I cannot wait to make it 😉
Thanks, Ramona! I hope you enjoy it.
WHAAAAT, sweet potatoes chocolate brownies? Why didn’t you tell me this before? Now I need to go looking for sweet potatoes in the middle of the summer
Haha! They’re the best secret ingredient ever. I hope you find some Laura!
What a great way to hide some extra nutrients in a sweet little treat. Can’t wait to try these, thank you.
Thanks, Alexis! Chocolate desserts are always a great place to hide vegetables! Hope you enjoy these…..
I can’t wait to try this recipe! I’m a chocolate fanatic and now I don’t have to feel guilty for indulging!
You certainly don’t Nikole! These are lovely and wholesome along with being decadent and delicious.
Ooooh! Those look delicious!!
Thanks, Beth! My husband samples a few a day just to be sure….